Festival / Tord Gustavsen
TORD GUSTAVSEN QUARTET 21:00
Date of Representation
26 October 21:00
Jam Session 23:00
Tord Gustavsen piano
Tore Brunborg saxophones
Sigurd Hole double bass
Jarle Vespestad drums
Tord Gustavsen Quartet
This is music that sings, at once gentle and robust. Listeners are invited into a creative musical universe of tender lyricism and subtle groove.
Pianist Tord Gustavsen has released seven critically acclaimed albums on ECM Records with his trio, his quartet, and his extended ensemble. He tours extensively worldwide.
The quartet is a natural prolongation of Tord’s pioneering trio work, keeping up the search for an essential kind of stripped-down beauty; for strong melodies in creative interplay. The new formation also adds new colours and dimensions to Tord’s music – through the sensibilities of some of the most intriguing players on the vibrant and eclectic Scandinavian jazz scene. Since the release of the previous ensemble album, the quartet has taken its integration of spare minimalism and a kind of darker, denser interplay further.
The approach still leans heavily on melodic clarity and less-is-more attitude. But it also shows traces of inspiration from more complex Scandinavian folk dance rhythms. And Tord’s compositions are somewhat more harmonically elaborate this time, although staying true to the emphasis on down-to-earth musical sensuality.
• «A trilogy [that] could be the most essential jazz document of the last ten year. Sublime.» (The Independent, UK)
• «Gustavsen's tunes are hypnotically strong.» (The Guardian, UK)
• «A fascinating interplay between abstraction and gospel roots» (Billboard Magazine, USA)
• «a stunningly beautiful recording. .. draws the listener in so completely – making us consider each note, each small gesture in its ethereal, shimmering whole .. nothing less than magical.» (Downbeat, USA)
• "Tord Gustavsen has refined his zen-like art to near perfection." (Jazz Journal)
• "every note is perfectly placed" (The Times, UK)